Thursday, June 19, 2008

Trying to fix live feed problem

There was a problem today with the live feed. Three postings sent from the iPhone didn't show up (at 10:45, 11:45, and 12:02 PM). There seems to be a limitation on posting via a mobile device (or e-mail) and at some point it is necessary to fix the problem.

The error message reported back by Blogger is, "You have exceeded the the allowable number of posts without solving a captcha." The captcha is a message appearing on screen that isn't machine readable. The reason for this limitation is to prevent a computer from posting random garbage to the web. It ensures that a real person is ultimately behind the postings to the blog.

I'm not sure what the limitation is. Is it a certain quantity? Is it a certain number of messages sent per hour? I'm going to investigate it and see if I can keep the problem from happening in the future. Because the problem fixed itself later in the day (without me having to provide a captcha), I presume it resets itself after a while. So, the limitation is probably on the number of messages posted in a period of time. For this reason, I'll need to stagger my posts through the day and not post so many.