Monday, June 23, 2008

At my desk

It's been a very busy morning. In addition to being a Monday, and the first day the University of Iowa has been open since the flood, I had the additional unpleasant discovery that some emails were not making it into the inbox on my desktop computer. They were, however, appearing in my iPhone. Unfortunately the iPhone will delete excess internal messages to make room for new ones. So, if the phone were set to erase messages on the server, and only set to view the 25 most recent messages, it would be possible for the phone to uncontrollably and permanently delete messages from the main mail server while at the same time purging them from the iPhone. This is very disconcerting since not receiving a message at all can frustrate people and also result in lost income. Concerned that I might start missing incoming e-mails, and already looking at a backlog of over 600 emails, I have spent the morning urgently trying to fix problems with email account. For this reason, I've not taken any calls. In the process of researching this issue, I consolidated all of my iPhone support documents into a single iPhone support page. The problem with messages not loading in the inbox is not yet resolved. When it is, news will be posted here.